We have a diverse society here in Australia. We’re a proud nation comprising of people of so many different nationalities. To celebrate this, let’s take a look at some interesting facts about the people who call Australia home!
- A person from Sydney is known as a Sydneysider.
- As of 2012, more than 25% of our residents were born overseas.
- Someone from Melbourne is known as a Melbournian.
- The Aboriginal people of Australia have been living here for around 50,000 years.
- 90% of our citizens live on the coast as so much of the interior is desert.
- Our former Prime Minister Bob Hawke once held the Guinness World Record for beer skulling. He took only 11 seconds to down 2.5 pints!
- After Athens, Melbourne has the largest Greek population in the world.
- We have one of the lowest population densities in the world. Our country is just a little smaller than the USA, but we only have 23 million people whereas America has 313 million people!!
- Women are not allowed to play the didgeridoo in Aboriginal culture.
- Australia has the highest rate of obesity in the world. 63.4% to be exact!
There is so much more to our people and to our country than we could ever write here. People make Australia.
At Eagle Wools we are all about having a bit of harmless fun. This information has been sourced online and we can’t verify the accuracy of any of it so don’t go referencing us on your school essays.