Australia is a magical place with such a diverse population of animal life. Although Australia is very similar to many other western countries, there’s so much that sets it apart. With this in mind, let’s take a quick look at some of these amazing Australian animal facts that will truly amaze you!
- There are more camels in Australia than in Egypt believe it or not!
- The Emu and the kangaroo are on our coat of arms because they can’t walk backwards. The animals symbolize how Australia is always moving forward!
- There are more than 40 million kangaroos throughout Australia.
- Australia is home to 17 of the most poisonous snakes in the world!
- There are three times as many sheep as there are people in our country.
- The Emu can run at speeds of around 45km/h (28mph).
- A platypus contains enough poison to make a human seriously ill or to kill a dog!
- Wombat poo is cube-shaped. Awesome!
- The record for the highest jump by a kangaroo is 9 metres!!
- A finger in the eye can stop a crocodile mid-attack. (Let’s hope you never need to try this out!)
- The Box Jellyfish, found at the Great Barrier Reef, kills more people than saltwater crocodiles, snakes and sharks combined!
- Two of our native animals, the echidna and the platypus, are the only mammals in the world that lay eggs to give birth!
- The Tasmanian Devil is the one mammal that has the strongest bite for its body size. Scary!
- Those koalas are sleepyheads – they snooze for as many as 20 hours per day!
- Of the 4 different species of kangaroos in Australia, the Red Kangaroo is the largest.
- The most massive Red Kangaroo ever recorded was 2.1 metres tall and 91 kilograms!
- The Australian Thorny Devil is a hardy lizard. It can live as long as 20 years.
- Our country is home to around 4,000 types of ants, 1,500 types of spiders and 350 types of termites.
Australia is a vast country filled with the most amazingly unique animals and wildlife. Whether they’re cute or terrifying, our animals are a part of who we are as a nation. Yes, even the spiders!
At Eagle Wools we are all about having a bit of harmless fun. This information has been sourced online and we can’t verify the accuracy of any of it so don’t go referencing us on your school essays.