We hope you’ve been having a great time finding out some little-known facts about Australia. We always knew our country was amazing! So, let’s dive into the last part of our series of fabulous facts!
- Emus and kangaroos are unable to walk backwards. Perhaps this is why they’ve come to symbolise our great nation always moving forward!
- An Aussie sheep smashed the world record for the heaviest wool haul from just one single shearing. A massive 40kg of wool was removed by a total of 5 shearers.
- ‘God Save The Queen/King’ was our national anthem until 1984.
- On average Aussie poker players lose $380 every year!
- We have 20% of the poker machines in the world!
- Back in 1970, the first seatbelt law in the world was put into place in Victoria. It became compulsory for front seat passengers and drivers to wear a seatbelt.
- Euthanasia was made legal in the Northern Territory in the 1990s. However, it was overturned by a bill that was passed at federal level.
- We are the third nation after America and Russia to successfully launch a satellite into orbit! We are truly out of this world!
- It was illegal between 1838 and 1902 to take a daytime swim at public beaches in Australia!
- Back in 1924, in Sydney, the world’s first society of cartoonists, the ‘Black and White Artists’ Society’ was formed.
- Kangaroos are able to survive without water for months on end.
- Kangaroos are able to dig 3-4 feet deep wells to find water.
- WA is the largest gold producer in the world right now!
- Aussie lyrebirds can mimic the calls of 15 different species of birds around them.
- The images of man’s first steps on the moon were broadcast from Australia to the world!
- Although our country was founded by convicts, we have a homicide rate of 1.8 per 100,000. The U.S. rate is 3 per 100,000.
- Our servicemen are known as Diggers. The term derives from the name for the Aussie gold field miners in the 1800s.
- Adelaide is famous for its many churches.
- We refer to lazy people as bludgers!
- As much as 80% of our population is employed in the service sector.
We hope you’ve been informed and entertained in equal measure by our series of Aussie fact articles. Do let us know if you have any amazing facts of your own!
At Eagle Wools we are all about having a bit of harmless fun. This information has been sourced online and we can’t verify the accuracy of any of it so don’t go referencing us on your school essays.