Welcome to part 3 of our series of funny, unbelievable and interesting facts about our beautiful country. Let’s get straight into the action with another 20!
- 21% of Aussies don’t speak English at home!
- Vegemite was created by the leftover yeast from beer!
- The majority of our exotic flora and fauna cannot be found anywhere else.
- We adopted the wattle as our national floral emblem back in 1912.
- Australian women gained the right to vote in 1902 making us the second country in the world to do so.
- Anna Creek Station in South Australia is the largest cattle station in the world. At more than 34,000 square kilometres, it’s larger than Belgium!
- We have the highest gambling rate in the world. In fact, 80 percent of Aussie adults have had a go at some point!
- Because Melbourne and Sydney couldn’t stop arguing over which should be the capital city, Canberra was eventually selected.
- Australia is the only remaining place in the world where lungfish can still be found. These are living fossils from the Triassic period 350 million years ago.
- The name ‘Australia’ derives from the Latin ‘Terra Australia Incognito’ meaning the Unknown Southern Land.
- The highest steel arch bridge in the world is the Harbour Bridge in Sydney.
- We Aussies love our coffee so much so that we have the world’s largest espresso machine. It needs to be operated by 5 people and can brew as many as 18 cups of coffee at any given time!
- We eat 260 million meat pies a year!
- Migaloo is the world’s only white whale and can be seen in Australia in the spring and autumn.
- Surprisingly enough, in winter we have more snow than Switzerland!
- Only 400 tourists at a time are allowed to visit Lord Howe Island!
- We have a town here that’s named 1770!?
- 91% of our glorious country is covered under vegetation.
- In Victoria, only a licensed electrician can change a lightbulb!
- The National Science Agency right here in – you guessed it – Australia invented Wi-Fi!
So, there you go – another 20 reasons why our country is the most amazing place to live and to visit in the world!
At Eagle Wools we are all about having a bit of harmless fun. This information has been sourced online and we can’t verify the accuracy of any of it so don’t go referencing us on your school essays.