It’s a fact that we Aussies are one of a kind. You can travel the world over and never meet anyone quite like us. Even though many of us have roots from around the world, Australia is the place we call home and don’t we love it? From weird Australian laws to some pretty interesting wildlife and everything in between, there are probably many peculiar facts about our great country that you never knew. So, with this in mind, let’s take a look!
- Australia is home to the largest cattle station in the world and it’s even bigger than the whole country of Israel!
- Australia has the longest golf course in the world and it’s a massive 850 miles long!
- 21 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the entire world live in Australia.
- We love living the outdoor lifestyle here in Australia, so much so that 4 out of every 5 of us live less than 50km from the coast!
- Aussies invented the wine cask (goon!)
- The only city in the world where an aircraft can land in its CBD is, of course, Perth. Where else?!
- You might not have realized it, but our amazing country is almost the same size as mainland USA.
- Australia has the accolade of being ranked 2nd on the Human Development Index (HDI). This basically means that we have a good standard of living, we live long and healthy lives and that we’re knowledgeable too!
- Every week on average there are approximately 70 tourists who overstay their visas and we can’t blame them! Can you?
- The first ever Aussie police force in the country was made up of the best-behaved convicts!
- The planet’s largest living structure is the Great Barrier Reef!
- Did you know that former Prime Minister Bob Hawke managed to set a new world record for drinking 2.5 pints of beer in only 11 seconds? Perhaps this is why he was such a successful guy?!
- With a mind-boggling 10,685 beaches in our country, it’d take you approximately 29 years to visit a new one every day!
- Fraser Island is the world’s largest sand island.
- The Great Barrier Reef has its own Post Office box!
- Canberra means ‘woman’s cleavage’ in Noongar. Australia’s capital was given its name due to its position between two mountains.
- Australia is pretty huge. In fact, it’s the 6th largest country in the world!
- 3 billion litres of wine are made here annually.
- Aussies love our beer, so much so that we drink 1.7 billion litres of it annually. That’s around 680 bottles for each adult!
- It’s legal to both film hardcore porn as well as to sell the end-product in Canberra!
Wow! There’s so much more to our country than you might have thought. Watch out for the next part of the series so you can find out many more Amazing Australian Facts You Never Knew!
At Eagle Wools we are all about having a bit of harmless fun. This information has been sourced online and we can’t verify the accuracy of any of it so don’t go referencing us on your school essays.